AD statement issued today Tuesday 24 February 2009
Today AD Spokesperson on Sustainable Development and Local Government Perit
Carmel Cacopardo on behalf of Alternattiva Demokratika, asked MEPA for a copy of
the following environmental information referred to in the “Solid Waste
Management Strategy for the Maltese Islands. A First Update”:
1) Situation Audit of the Solid Waste Management Strategy carried out in January
2) TAIEX Project Report carried out with Germany entitled : A Waste Management
Plan for the Maltese Islands 2006-10,
3) Report of the Twinning Project between Malta and Austria MT05-1B-EN-01 :
Recycling of Construction and Demolition Waste in Malta : Strategy for
4) Report of the Twinning assignment between Malta and Austria entitled :
Hazardous Waste Inventory and Technical Assistance in regulatory aspects of
Hazardous Waste Management,
5) Report of the Twinning project between Malta and Austria entitled : Waste to
Energy in Malta â€“ Scenarios for Implementation.
6) Report on an Agricultural Waste Management Plan for the Maltese Islands.
Perit Cacopardo said that selective parts of the said reports have been quoted
or referred to in the Consultation Document published recently by the Ministry
responsible for Waste Management. He said that for effective and informed
consultation to take place all those interested should have access to all
pertinent information available to the government. The request was made in terms
of the Aarhus Convention of which Malta is a signatory.